Monday, November 15, 2010

On weekends we have been assigned to go to Ogdensburg to not only be part of the little branch there, but also try to help build it up. We stay in a home right on the St. Lawrence. I tried to upload a picture of the front of the house, but the computer is not cooperating. I will show it in another blog. This is the view outside of our weekend home. It ain't fancy but I think we will survive!

Here are the two Sister Missionaries, Sister Despain and Sister Zwick that we share the house with on weekends. They are wonderful and it is so fun to get to be part of real missionary work. This man was baptized this past Sat. and Phil got to do the baptizing.



Here's the little Ogdensburg Branch churchhouse. It is the loveliest small church I think I have ever seen.


The chapel almost looks and has the feel of the temple.




I had never known what the 1,000 Islands were (other than salad dressing). I was amazed to see they were real islands in the middle of the St. Lawrence Seaway. I have only been able to see a few of the islands by the road because there is so much folage between the road and the river, but what I could get a glimpse of fascinated me!

People buy an island and build a house on it. Some of the islands are not much bigger than the house.


I asked a man who was near by when we were taking a picture if the waves ever were a problem and he said, "Waves....nah." I can see how threatening your children, "If you don't clean your room, you are going to have to go outside and play." might be a good parenting strategy living here.
I was able to get closest to this one. The man also told me there really were about 3,000 little islands like this. I asked him if the river froze solid enough that they could walk out to their house in the winter. He said, "Sure enough. The river freezes three feet thick."


An example of some of the private docks people have built right next to their yards.



There are houses on shore built right on the edge of the River.

This is truly an amazing place and we are so grateful to have this opportunity to experience it. Thanks for following our blog.











2 comments:

  1. Amazing...wonder what the homeowner's insurance rates are on those homes! What a beautiful place, and a beautiful experience! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, I love your hair. It's beautiful. You both look wonderful.

    Lloya

    ReplyDelete